The Yale Drama Series competition only accepts submissions between June 1st and August 15th.
The Yale Series of Younger Poets competition only accepts submissions between October 1st and November 15th.
Please return to this site during the appropriate period.
To enter the competition, please return to this site during that period.
RULES AND SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for its 2019 playwriting competition. The winning play will be selected by the series' current judge, distinguished playwright Ayad Akhtar. The winner of this annual competition will be awarded the David Charles Horn Prize of $10,000, publication of his/her manuscript by Yale University Press, and a staged reading at the Lincoln Center. The prize and publication are contingent on the playwright’s agreeing to the terms of the publishing agreement.
There is no entry fee. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
1. This contest is restricted to plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are accepted.
2. Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays written in English. Translations, musicals, adaptations, and children's plays are not accepted. The Yale Drama Series is intended to support emerging playwrights. Playwrights may win the competition only once.
3. Playwrights may submit only one manuscript per year. Only manuscripts authored by one playwright are eligible.
4. Plays that have been professionally produced or published are not eligible. Plays that have had a workshop, reading, or non-professional production or that have been published as an actor’s edition will be considered.
5. Plays may not be under option, commissioned, or scheduled for professional production or publication at the time of submission.
6. The manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play's title, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes. Plays must be typed/word-processed, page-numbered, and in professional play format.
7. Please omit your name and contact information from your manuscript. Please enter the title of your play, your name, address, and phone number, and a brief biography where indicated in the electronic submission form. Then upload your singular manuscript file and select "Submit."
8. The Yale Drama Series reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
9. The Yale Drama Series reserves the right of the judge to not choose a winner for any given year of the competition and reserves the right to determine the ineligibility of a winner, in keeping with the spirit of the competition, and based upon the accomplishments of the author.
For more information about the Yale Drama Series, please visit:
or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical support, please email email@example.com or call (855) 467-8264 ext 2.