The Yale Drama Series competition only accepts submissions between June 1st and August 15th.
The Yale Series of Younger Poets competition only accepts submissions between October 1st and November 15th.
Please return to this site during the appropriate period.
Electronic submissions for the 2021 competition must be submitted no earlier than October 1, 2020 and no later than November 15, 2020. The submission window closes at midnight EST.
To enter the competition, please return to this site during that period.
RULES AND SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
The Yale Series of Younger Poets is seeking submissions for its 2021 competition. This contest champions the most promising new American poets. The winning poetry manuscript will be selected by the series’ current judge, critically acclaimed poet Rae Armantrout, to be published by Yale University Press in the Yale Series of Younger Poets. The competition is open to emerging poets who have not previously published a book of poetry and who reside in the United States.
All submissions will be judged anonymously.
There is an application fee of $25.00. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
1. Submissions must be original, book-length poetry manuscripts written in the English language. Translations are not accepted.
2. Poets may submit only one manuscript per year. Manuscripts submitted in previous years may be resubmitted.
3. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable during the submission and reading period. If you have submitted your manuscript to other publishers, we require that you notify us immediately if you have an offer for publication. If your submission is selected as winner of this prize, you must agree to immediately withdraw the manuscript from consideration elsewhere upon notification of your selection as winner.
4. Eligibility is further contingent on the poet’s agreeing to the terms of the publishing agreement, all terms of which are non-negotiable.
5. There is an application fee of $25.00.
6. The manuscript must be a minimum of 48 numbered pages and a maximum of 64 numbered pages in length. All manuscripts must be paginated. Each new poem must start on a new page.
7. The manuscript must begin with unnumbered frontmatter. Please see the separate instructions for Electronic Submissions and Hard Copy Submissions below.
8. Begin paginating the manuscript after the frontmatter. If your book is divided into parts or has an epigraph, Page 1 will be the first part title or the epigraph. Otherwise, Page 1 will be the first poem.
9. In formatting the manuscript, please make legibility your first concern. Plays must be typed/word-processed. Please select a standard typeface (such as Bodoni, Garamond, or Times New Roman) in at least 10-point type. Manuscripts may be single-spaced, double-spaced, or 1.5 spaced.
10. The Yale Series of Younger Poets reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
11. The Yale Series of Younger Poets reserves the right of the judge to not choose a winner for any given year of the competition and reserves its right to determine the ineligibility of a winner, in keeping with the spirit and rules of the competition.
12. The winning submission will be published in a book with a new series design that will debut on the published book in 2022. We are happy to consider the winner’s suggestions for an image to be featured on the book cover in conjunction with the unified typographic approach of the series. If we choose to adopt one of the suggested images, the poet will be asked to secure permission to use it.
For more information about the Yale Series of Younger Poets, please visit:
or email email@example.com
For technical support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.