Electronic submissions for the 2018 competition must be submitted no earlier than October 1, 2017 and no later than November 15, 2017. The submission window closes at midnight EST.
To enter the competition, please return to this site during that period.
RULES AND SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
The Yale Series of Younger
Poets is seeking submissions for its 2018 competition. This contest champions
the most promising new American poets. The winning poetry manuscript
will be selected by the series’ current judge, critically acclaimed poet Carl
Phillips, to be published by Yale University Press in the Yale Series of
Younger Poets. The competition is open to emerging poets who have not previously
published a book of poetry and who reside in the United States. Publication is
contingent on the poet’s agreeing to the terms of the publishing agreement.
There is an application fee
of $25.00. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
1. Submissions must be
original, book-length poetry manuscripts written in the English language. Translations
are not accepted.
2. Poets may submit only one
manuscript per year. Manuscripts submitted in previous years may be
3. The manuscript must be a minimum of 48 numbered pages and a maximum of 64 numbered pages in length. All manuscripts must be paginated. Each new poem must start a new page.
4. The manuscript must begin with unnumbered frontmatter: a title page that lists the title of the collection only; and a table of contents.
5. Begin paginating the manuscript after the frontmatter. If your book is divided into parts or has an epigraph, Page 1 will be the first part title or the epigraph. Otherwise, Page 1 will be the first poem.
6. In formatting the manuscript, please make legibility your first concern. Select a standard typeface (such as Bodoni, Garamond, or Times New Roman) in at least 10-point type. Manuscripts may be single-spaced, double-spaced, or 1.5 spaced.
7. Please omit your name, contact information, and biography from your manuscript file. Please enter the title of your manuscript, your name and contact information, and a brief biography where indicated in the electronic submission form. A fee of $25.00, payable by credit card or via PayPal, is also required at the time of submission.
8. The Yale Series of Younger
Poets reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
9. The Yale Series of Younger
Poets reserves the right of the judge to not choose a winner for any given year
of the competition and reserves the right to determine the ineligibility of a
winner, in keeping with the spirit of the competition, and based upon the
accomplishments of the author.
For more information about the Yale Series of Younger Poets, please visit:
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical support, please email email@example.com or call (855) 467-8264 ext 2.